Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
Wauwatosa aims to increase sudden cardiac arrest survival
The Wauwatosa Fire Department is spearheading a new effort to train 10 percent of the community in hands-only CPR and AED use.
The program, called Heart Safe Tosa, will include CPR and AED training and a free software app called PulsePoint that notifies trained civilians that a sudden cardiac arrest has occurred in a nearby, public setting. The effort also aims to install more AEDs in local businesses.
Fire Chief Rob Ugaste said hands-only CPR training takes about six-minutes to complete. Training for AED use takes a bit longer.
"If one more person survives, it was all worth it," he said. "How cool would that be? When the paramedics pull up, the (sudden cardiac arrest patient) already has a heartbeat again."
The chief said fire department officials will offer training at events like Tosafest, the Tosa Farmers Market and Tosa Night Out.
Annual Firefly Art Fair scheduled for Aug. 6, 7
The Wauwatosa Historical Society will again present the annual Firefly Art Fair in August.
From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 6 and 7, the public is invited to the fair, which features more than 75 juried artists, representing an array of art at the grounds of the historic Kneeland-Walker House, 7406 Hillcrest Drive.
Food and drink are available for purchase and there will be live entertainment will be at the 30th annual event. Admission is $5 and children under 12 are free.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 21
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 14
- News and Notes: July 7
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 30
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 16
- Wauwatosa News & Notes: June 9
- Name revealed of Milwaukee County Zoo's newborn giraffe
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 26
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 19
- News and Notes: May 12
- In Brief: City seeks volunteers for focus group; seminar can help with advanced care planning
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: April 20, 2016
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: April 14
- In Brief: Meeting set for bus rapid transit study
- In Brief: City, schools to study parks, trails, recreation facilities
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: March 31
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: March 24
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: March 17
- In Brief: March 10
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Farmers Market will move for TosaFest for one week