The Wauwatosa School District reviewed a proposed 2013-14 school calendar that would have classes begin Sept. 3, the day after Labor Day, and end June 17, 2014.
With Easter 2014 falling late - April 20 - spring break would be the week preceding it, from April 14 to 18, instead of the more common week following Easter. Winter break would begin Dec. 23, with school resuming Jan. 2.
The planned calendar has 180 days of teaching. Including snow make-up days and teacher in-service days, there are 192 scheduled days in the calendar.
Elementary school conferences would be held Oct. 10 and 15. Middle school conferences would fall on Oct. 15 and 23, while high school conferences are scheduled for Oct. 17 and 22. All conferences are scheduled from 4:30 to 8 p.m.
New teachers would be welcomed, and mentors trained, beginning Aug. 19.
By state law, public school districts cannot begin school before Labor Day - an important weekend to tourism interests. At last week's school board meeting, Superintendent Phil Ertl expressed frustration at the requirement, as it reduces flexibility in setting the district's calendar.
The school board will take action on the calendar at its meeting Monday.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23