Marquette jumped off to a fast start Thursday night and Wauwatosa East could never recover, as the Red Raiders ended the regular season with a 52-38 loss, their third in a row and their sixth in seven games.
The Red Raiders finished the season in fourth place (8-6) and fell to 13-9 overall. Since being tied with Brookfield Central for first place on Jan. 13, Tosa East finished the year with a 3-7 record, with wins over the bottom three teams in the Greater Metro Conference.
Marquette led, 27-23, with 4:12 left in the third period and that was the closest the Red Raiders came the rest of the game, as MUHS closed out with a 7-4 run and a 34-27 lead after three periods.
The Hilltoppers then opened the fourth period with a 10-5 advantage to put the game away at 44-32. Tosa East did manage a small run to cut the lead to 44-36 with 3:18 on the clock, but MUHS closed with an 8-2 stretch.
Donnell Cegars came off the bench to lead MUHS with 10 points, while Matt Misiewicz and Alex McBride had nine points each.
With the loss of Anthony (AC) Carroll and Marquise Carter for the year, the Red Raiders have really been struggling offensively. Diamonte Mckinley, their only consistent threat, was the game's high scorer with 12 points.
The Hilltoppers finished the year tied for fifth (6-8, 8-13), having won two straight and three of five.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North