Wauwautosa East used 19 points from senior Katie Salmon and 16 from sophomore Bailey Berlin to pound West Allis Central, 60-24, and win their first Greater Metro Conference game of the season.
The Red Raiders also went over the .500 mark with a 5-4 record and improved to 1-4 in the GMC while WAC fell to 0-5 and 1-10 overall.
With East winning, 6-5, Salmon picked up her second foul with 4:25 left in the quarter. But instead of folding, the Red Raiders took off, as tiny point guard Berlin scored 12 straight points to give East an 18-7 lead at the quarter.
First she hit a 3-pointer, then she scored on a fastbreak. She then nailed another 3 and closed it out with a 4-point play, as she sank a 3-pointer, was fouled and she sank the free throw.
Salmon added another talented sophomore Maya Walls scored five to spark a 17-2 run in the second quarter for a 35-9 lead at halftime. Salmon scored eight points in the third for a 51-21 lead going into the final period.
Berlin had 16 points, including three 3's, as she is getting over a broken finger on her shooting hand (left). Salmon was 5-for-7 from the free throw line. Walls finished with 11 points. Nikita Conroy had 8 points and Bria Brown added seven for WAC.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North