The top-ranked Marquette Hilltoppers swept away Wauwatosa East in the quarter-finals of the State Boys Volleyball Tournament tonight at Wisconsin Lutheran College.
The Hilltoppers were flawless in the first game, outscoring the Red Raiders, 10-2, at one point to run away with an easy 25-8 victory.
Tosa East played much better in the second two games, but still lost, 25-21, and 25-19. In game two, the Red Raiders led as late as 20-19, before MUHS outscored them, 6-1, for the win. In Game three, Tosa East led 15-13, before the Hilltoppers went on a 12-4 run for the win.
Tosa resident Trevor Metz and Matt Machi led MUHS with 10 kills, while Zak Sylvester had 7 and Kyle O'Connell had 6. Peter Heinen, another Tosa resident, had 31 assists, and Tosa East's Ryan Hoffland was all over the floor, getting 20 assists for the Red Raiders.
Mike Schneck had 10 digs for MUHS and Machi had 6, while senior Matty Patton led the Red Raiders with 3. Steven Berg of Tosa had 3 blocked shots for the Hilltoppers.
Marquette (27-2) will now fact New Berlin Eisenhower/West (24-4) at noon at WLC on Saturday. Tosa East finishes with a 21-12 record.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North