Wauwatosa East's Dan Sayles' 3-point basket on the buzzer upset Milwaukee Washington, 57-56, in the 2009 Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook Shootout at the Al McGuire Center Monday night, snapping a 6-game losing streak for the Red Raiders.
Washington junior Quevyn Winters' two free throws with 4.2 seconds left had just given the Purgolders a 56-54 lead. The Red Raiders got the ball into Sayles, a sharp-shooting senior forward who leads the team in scoring.
Sayles dribbled through a double team and past two more Purgolders before shooting a buzzer-beating 3-pointer from the wing for the win.
Tosa East, a young and inexperienced team, improved to 3-7 with the win, while Washington, the third-ranked team in the area, fell to 5-2. What made the upset even more unlikely was the fact that an average Pius XI team clobbered Tosa East Sunday night by 18 in the first day of the tourney.
After shooting 28% against the Popes, the Red Raiders came back and shot 60% (12-of-20) in the second half and hit 7-of-14 3-pointers against Washington, an excellent defensive team.
Sayles finished with 20 points, which included 4-of-8 from 3-point range. Sophomore forward Darrell Bowie helped out Sayles with 14 points and eight rebounds, while senior guard Matt Patton had 13 points and five assists.
The Red Raiders are now off until Jan. 5 when they host West Allis Central in Greater Metro Conference play.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North