The Tosa Swordfish swimmers competed at the Odd Ball Challenge over the weekend at the Schroeder Aquatic Center, participating in a number of unusual events in a meet hosted by the South Eastern Aquatic YMCA.
Races weren't the only strange thing about this meet.
"It seemed like for every athlete we had swimming this weekend, there was another one out sick," said Swordfish coach Jackie Jecha. "Hopefully those that couldn't swim will be able to bounce back quickly and be ready for the next meet in two weeks. They work too hard in practice to miss out on the competition."
Ben Meulemans and Ryan Woods, both 9 years old, had six top-10 finishes in their respective events, and five others earned top-16 placements.
Meulemans finished as high as third (50 butterfly, 50 freestyle, 200 freestyle), and Woods took second in both the 25 butterfly and 25 breaststroke.
Other top finishers were Lily Saab (seventh in 25 freestyle in 8-9-year-old division), Olivia Pelzek (three top-15 finishes in 8-9 division), Cole Pfaltzgraff (two top-15 finishes in 10-11 division), Elizabeth Peura (8th in 200 breaststroke at 11-12 division) and Megan Krummel (14th in 200 breaststroke at 11-12 division).
Others swimming for the Swordfish were Anna Busalacchi, Shea Murphy, Laura Bialozynski, Olivia Lonski, Rebecca Lonski, Ingrid Meulemans, Katherine VanDellen, Nachuan Ge, Abby Gifford, Zoe Hawthorne, Micheala Lonski, Emma Schmidt and Rachel Stuberg.
They compete again Jan. 26 at the Winter Single Age Highpoint Trophy Challenge at Arrowhead High School.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North