Perhaps Wauwatosa West girls track and field coach Jack LoPresti summed up his team's performance at Saturday's Chris Wilson Invitational at Milwaukee Lutheran High School the best.
"We had a great meet," LoPresti said. "It's a good way to start the season."
What made LoPresti smile was his team's 22-point victory in the seven-team invitational, as the Trojans scored 117 points to Port Washington's 95 to coast to the victory.
And the Trojans had plenty to be happy about.
Hurdle's coach Mike Fischer was especially pleased with the efforts of Colleen Seefeldt and Leyna Zeimet.
"Colleen and Leyna really got one over on the competition," he said. "A great start to what looks like a promising season."
LoPresti agreed with his assessment.
"'Fish' is right. It was a good start, the kind of confidence builder that we hope translates into results down the road in May and June," LoPresti said.
Seefeldt won the 55-meter hurdles in 10.14 seconds and Zeimet was right behind her in third place with a time of 10.78.
Another win was the 4-lap relay behind the efforts of Sheria Brown, Elise Ditscheit, Grace Gabriel and Shannon Wilson (1 minute, 32.84 seconds) and Brigid Jensen in the 800-meter run (2:33.99).
The Trojans had four second-place finishes, three individuals and one relay.
Casey Grabow was second in the 800 (2:37.66), Jordan Schnell in the 400 (1:08.47) and Shannon Wilson in the long jump (15-feet, 7¼).
The 4x800 relay of Grabow, Gabriel, Haley Barta and Jensen (11:09.15) also finished second.
Tosa West added three third-place finishes and a fourth-place to top off the day.
Wilson was in the 55 dash (8.04), Barta in the 3,200-meter run (13:54.15), Zaina Lalk in the shot put (33-feet, 3½ inches) and Wilson in the high jump (4-feet, 6 inches).
Laura Carlson was fourth in the 3,200 (14:26.90).
CHRIS WILSON INVITE
Girl's Team Rankings
Saturday, Milwaukee Lutheran
1) Wauwatosa West (117)
2) Port Washington (95)
3) Milwaukee Lutheran (71.50)
4) Union Grove (49.50)
5) St. Thomas More (49)
6) Oconomowoc (47.50)
7) Waukesha North (38.50)
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North