Fourth grade students at St. Matthias Parish School in Milwaukee will learn how to turn their creative ideas into patentable inventions, with the help of experts from the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW).
Every year, Mrs. Rachele Wehr’s students create their own inventions, which are then displayed at the school’s open house in late January. The school recently established a partnership with MCW's Biotechnology and Bioengineering Center (BBC) through their outreach program. On January 23rd, members of MCW’s office of technology development will partner with those students to explain the invention and patent process, and show them how to write a patent.
“Providing children opportunities to invent empowers them with the tools to assess problems, think creatively, and translate their ideas into successful solutions and products,” said Kalpa Vithalani, Ph.D., licensing manager in the MCW office of technology development.
The BBC’s outreach program is part of its mission to mentor and train students at the K-12 level. The goal is to spark students’ interest and increase awareness of science, technology, engineering and mathematics career opportunities.
“Our fourth graders will discuss their processes and how their inventions will make life easier for the user. With the help of the scientists coming from MCW, we hope to expand their understanding of inventions to include patents—which will take the lesson to the next level,” said Susan Booth, principal of St. Matthias.
The program will be held at St. Matthias Parish School, 9300 W. Beloit Road, from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Media are invited to attend.
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?
- Build a Lego City!
- Anansi Puppet Story and Craft
- MCW researchers to study airway management in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!