Growing up in a suburb of New York City, Brookfield resident Ann Maguire and her seven siblings performed shows at a men’s homeless shelter for their 4-H Club project. Ann says it was her mom’s way to reveal to her children the joy in serving others. “Even as kids, we saw what our visits meant to those men dealing with alcoholism and mental illness.”
Today, the 4-H motto “Head, Heart, Hands, Health” epitomizes Dr. Ann Maguire’s life. She has a genuine comfort level with society’s outcasts. She’s not afraid to hold hands, look into the eyes of a homeless patient and ask, “What can I do for you?” In her internal medicine practice, Dr. Maguire strives to treat the whole person, and she takes that lesson into Medical College of Wisconsin classrooms as well.
Sisters of the Divine Savior (SDS) will honor Dr. Maguire’s life of service with their 13th Annual Woman of Faith Award. Nominating Ann for the award, Michelle Schmit described her friend as a “fierce advocate for the poor.”
Colleague Barbara Horner-Ibler calls Ann a bridge builder who takes to heart God’s call for justice to the poor. Mary Jo Lo says of her friend, “Ann sees service as an opportunity to quietly demonstrate humble faith in God,” and one or the other of Ann’s sons is often by her side, learning by example. “She’s always inspiring and gently nudging those around her as she lives and works in our community.”
The 2013 Woman of Faith reception will be held Thursday, October 10 at 7:00 p.m. at the SDS Community House, 4311 N. 100th Street in Milwaukee. The reception is free of charge and open to the public. Reservations are requested by Friday, October 4. Call (414) 466-7414 or email: email@example.com.
Sisters of the Divine Savior are a Catholic congregation of women religious founded 125 years ago in Tivoli, Italy. Also known as Salvatorian Sisters, they serve in education, health care, pastoral care, social work, and advocate for victims of human trafficking. Salvatorian Sisters minister in 29 countries on five continents to promote justice and improve quality of life for people of all faiths and cultures.
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?
- Build a Lego City!
- Anansi Puppet Story and Craft
- MCW researchers to study airway management in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!