The Milwaukee Choristers (milwaukeechoristers.org) will hold auditions for new members on Wednesday, August 27 starting at 6:30 p.m. at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church (1529 Wauwatosa Avenue, Wauwatosa). Appointments are recommended and can be made by calling 414/354-1933 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-ins also are welcome and will be heard when the schedule permits. Basses and tenors are particularly encouraged to audition.
Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., director of choral activities at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, has been conductor of the Choristers since 1993. He will conduct the private auditions and advises that no prepared material is necessary, although knowledge of music and/or previous choral experience is beneficial. Dr. Kinchen will ask the candidates to sing a familiar song and sight-sing a simple melody. He also will test vocal range and evaluate tonal memory.
Singers accepted will join the Choristers in weekly Wednesday evening rehearsals at Wauwatosa Avenue United Methodist Church beginning on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Details and additional advice about the audition process are available on the Choristers’ website – milwaukeechoristers.org.
The Choristers began in November 1933 when 20 graduates of Milwaukee’s Riverside High School A Cappella Choir decided to keep rehearsing and performing together. Their high school conductor, Ellen Sargeant, agreed to direct them, and the rest is history. The chorus is one of the area’s oldest performing arts groups and has 75 members from nearly two dozen area communities.
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?
- Build a Lego City!
- Anansi Puppet Story and Craft
- MCW researchers to study airway management in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!