What do leaves, trees, bugs and pond water have in common? All of these will be examined this Saturday by children as part of the National Garden Clubs Week celebration at the Elmbrook Nature Center.
“Exploring and enjoying natural habitat is what the Nature Center is all about,” said Judy Newman, the Elmbrook Garden Club’s liaison to the nature center. “The public is invited Saturday to experience and enjoy the habitat of the center and see what the excitement is all about.”
Families are invited to the 17-acre center from 10 am to 2 pm to take guided or self guided tours, or to participate in activities such as rock painting, leaf rubbings, collecting and examining pond water with microscopes and creating plaster of paris animal tracks. All tours and activities will be conducted by host organizations and members of the Brookfield East High School science staff. In addition, information will be available on constructing Aldo Leopold garden benches—and six will be raffled off to visitors during the event.
Nearly 2,750 children tour the center each year as part of science-related school field trips.
The Elmbrook Nature Center was developed in 1977 with a federal grant. The Brookfield Kiwanis Club and its partnering high school organization, the Brookfield East Key Club, were instrumental in the construction of the solar-heated visitor center in 1980. The two groups, along with the Elmbrook Garden Club, continue to be involved in the Center’s maintenance. The garden club celebrates its 50th anniversary this year as well.
The center is located behind Brookfield East High School, 3305 Lily Road, Brookfield. Visitors this Saturday should use the school’s north entrance and driveway that leads past the north soccer fields and west softball diamond.
- Brookfield Chamber of Commerce holds ribbon-cutting for Network Health
- Brookfield Chamber of Commerce launches app to promote local businesses
- FREE Leaf by Oscar Cigar Tasting/ @ PRIME Cigar Bar Brookfield Thursday June 16 2016
- Sikich Moves In to the Top 10 on Milwaukee’s Annual Book of Lists
- Renowned Author John Shelby Spong Returns to Trinity UCC
- Massive Chili-Cook Off / N.B. Beer Samplig Event @ PRIME Cigar Bar Brookfield Thurs March 24 2016
- PRIME CIGAR Company -Wisconsins Largest Cigar Store and Bar is hosting a Free St Pats Day Party Thursday March 17th
- ASHTON Cigar Tasting Event @ PRIME Cigar Company/Bar/Lounge Thursday March 3 6pm to midnite
- Protecting Your Assets From Unexpected Events
- Brookfield Chamber hosts grand opening ribbon-cutting for The Corked Canvas