Members of the Wauwatosa Police Department's Community Support Division, with backup provided by the folks at WauwatosaNow.com, are now blogging. We will be providing you with an ongoing series of crime prevention tips, any current crime trends as well as pertinent news and notes as it relates to your Police Department.
- Walk with authority and always make eye contact with those around you
- Try to walk with a friend or two
- Be alert to the surrounding environment outside and in, avoid tunnel vision
- Know your route and try to use a very well lit route for night time activities
- Don’t use earphones or ear buds
- Dress casually and comfortably yet appropriately for the activity and weather
- Leave your expensive and even expensive appearing jewelry at home
- Avoid carrying a purse or handbag if possible
- Carry important items including your cash in your front pockets
- Do not flash anything of value
- Carry a cell phone. Inexpensive ones for just emergency use are available
- Avoid texting, it does distract you more than you think
- Only carry the key(s) you need.
- Carry a Whistle to help summon help when needed in an emergency