Jarvis Ashley's basket with 9.8 seconds left to play gave Wauwatosa West a thrilling 51-49 win over first-place Whitnall on Friday at Tosa West.
The win was the fourth in a row for the Trojans and the fifth in six outings as they improved to 8-5 in the Woodland Conference Black Division, 9-8 overall. The Falcons dropped to 10-3, 11-6 overall as they lost to the Trojans for the second time in 11 days.
After a racehorse first half - West led 23-16 after one quarter and Whitnall won the second period 20-10 - the Falcons led 36-33. They increased that to 47-43 after three periods, but then West held the Falcons to a baskte by Bryan Nagy in the fourth period while the Trojans scored eight.
Trailing 49-47, West freshman Ricky Landers hit a layout with 4:09 left to play, but then both teams went cold.
The Trojans ended up with the ball with 33 seconds left and then ran the clock down to 13 seconds when Ashley got the ball on the left side. He then drove the lane and banked in a shot and with 6.1 seconds left, the Falcons called time out.
But the Trojans had only two fouls and used three of them up everytime Whitnall inbounded the ball.
Stephen Pelkofer, who had 16 points through three periods, missed a running shot down the right side of the court which bounced over the rim.
Ashley did a good job on Pelkofer in the final period. Tyler Krause had 16 points for the Trojans and Ashley finished with 13.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North