Wauwatosa East's Bryce Kratzer's 2-run walk-off double sparked the Red Raiders to any exciting 5-4 win over West Allis Hale tonight at Breitlow Field.
With Hale (4-6, 4-8) leading 4-3 going into the bottom of the seventh, Steffen Uhrich walked off reliever Tony Machowski to start the inning. Ben Carpenter then smashed a one-bouncer to Hale third baseman who threw to second to try and get Uhrich, but the ball got by the second baseman putting runners on first and second.
Kratzer then came in and slammed a long double off the wall in leftfield scoring both runners for the win.
Kratzer would have been the losing pitcher, as he allowed three earned runs in 3.1 innings, before running into a control problem in the fifth. With one out, he hit a batter and then walked two Huskies to load the bases.
Tracy Johnson then came in and allowed an RBI-single to DH Nick Sotiros, who had two doubles, an RBI and two runs scored earlier in the game to give Hale a 4-2 advantage.
But Johnson struck out the next two hitters, got out of trouble in the sixth and pitched a solid seventh inning to finish with 2.2 innings of shutout relief. He allowed two hits, two walks and fanned four.
Great defensive plays by Uhrich at second and Josh Smentek in rightfield prevented Hale from scoring in the sixth and put the game away.
Hale's starting pitcher Alex Elenteny pitched a solid game, allowing five hits, three walks and two hit batters while fanning seven Red Raiders.
The win improved East to 2-7 in league play and 4-7 overall.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns (1)
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment (3)
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North