Seniors Ray Sterling and Sam Krenzien got Wauwatosa West into the fourth quarter with a lead and then freshman Anthony Carroll help put away Whitnall as the Trojans came away with an impressive 64-55 win Friday night in Wauwatosa.
The victory helped the Trojans (8-3, 10-5) take over second place from the Falcons (7-4, 8-5) behind New Berlin Eisenhower (10-0) not counting tonight's game at St. Francis.
The Trojans came out firing, as Krenzien scored 10 points in the first quarter to spark an 18-9 advantage. But the Falcons behind 11 points from Will Pelkofer went on a 13-3 run to spark 19-7 second quarter advantage, taking a 28-25 lead into intermission.
Assistant coach Chad Stelse, taking over for coach Mike Landisch, who has been out with a kidney problem, reminded the Trojans about how much they dominated that first period.
The Trojans came out pressing the Falcons and went on a 16-7 third-quarter run behind Sterling (6 points), Krenzien (4) and Kieviante Love (4) to go into the final period with a 41-35 lead.
Tosa West outscored the Falcons, 23-20, in a high-scoring fourth period, as Carroll scored all 13 of his points in the fourth period.
Pelkofer scored a game-high 23 points, but he was the only Whitnall player in double figures. Sterling, playing perhaps his best game of the year, added 18 to lead the Trojans, who also had excellent floor games from Jarvis Ashley (6 points) and AJ Krause.
- Volleyball: MVC Boys Club team takes third in volleyball nationals
- Wauwatosa Swordfish swim well in two meets
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers battle elements for win
- Baseball: Seven Wauwatosa baseball players earn all-conference honors
- Wauwatosa West girls basketball coach Ashley Imperiale resigns
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Wauwatosa school district files lawsuit against WIAA over conference realignment
- Baseball: Michaelis leads Wauwatosa East past rival West in regional
- Football: Milwaukee County Chargers earn overtime win over Muskego
- Baseball: Wauwatosa East's season ends with regional final loss to Waukesha North