The West Allis Players will present the world premiere of “In Lieu of Flowers.” This touching drama, written by West Allis Players’ board member Katherine Beeson, opens April 27 and runs through May 6.
“In Lieu of Flowers” is a touching drama that begins after the funeral of Lou Flowers, the much-loved owner of The Chatterbox Café. His employees and friends are left to mourn him – and then to wonder just how well they actually knew him after his will is read. It is a story of loss, love, wonderful memories and surprising second chances.
Beeson feels that too many people discount Community Theater without coming to see a show. “Community Theater is not a ‘let’s put on a show’ type of entertainment,” Beeson said. “These are amateurs, yes, but many of these actors have had some theater training and a number have degrees in the performing arts. They just can’t devote their working lives to the theater and use this venue to be able to perform. There is always something in each performance – some nugget -- that will make the audience sit up and take notice.”
Beeson hopes that her script will be one of those nuggets. “In Lieu of Flowers” took more than two years to write. “The West Allis Players sponsored a workshop of my play last August and then opted to produce the show in 2012,” she said. “Since this is the first time my play will be performed, I also invited my cast to challenge me to defend or change a line or scene. The process was incredible and I am immensely proud of my cast and crew.”
“In Lieu of Flowers” stars Tom Jozwik as Lou Flowers, Maxine Pais as Fran, Joan Boudro as Joan, Erin Walton as Marcee, Kevin Stohlmeyer as Chris and features West Allis resident Bill Kaiser as Sidney. Steve Makovec and Marilyn Daleiden at the “Silent Couple”
Show times are 7:30 p.m. April 27, 28, May 4 and 5 and 2 p.m. May 6. The theater, West Allis Central Auditorium, is at 8500 West Lincoln in West Allis. Tickets may be purchased at the door. Visit waplayers.org for more information and a discount coupon.
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?
- Build a Lego City!
- Anansi Puppet Story and Craft
- MCW researchers to study airway management in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!