John Gurda, a well known local historian and author, will present “Rogues and Reformers: Milwaukee's Surprising Political History,” at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, March 12, at the Elm Grove Playhouse. Gurda will be speaking to members and guests of West Suburban-Milwaukee Branch of American Association of University Women.
Gurda is a Milwaukee-born writer and historian who has been studying his hometown since 1972. The author of 19 books, he is also a lecturer, tour guide, and local history columnist for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. His most ambitious effort, The Making of Milwaukee, is 450 pages long with 500 illustrations.
Milwaukee Public Television premiered an Emmy Award-winning documentary series based on the book in 2006; that series is available on DVD. Currently, he appears with Jonathan McGivern on public television’s “Around the Corner,” featuring Milwaukee, its suburbs, and other communities in Wisconsin.
Gurda holds a B.A. in English from Boston College and an M.A. in Cultural Geography from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He is an eight-time winner of the Wisconsin Historical Society’s Award of Merit.
Prospective members and guests are welcome. Please call Karla Sloan at 262-695-4431.
- Ebenezer's Pareting Tip: What is Helicopter Parenting?
- Build a Lego City!
- Anansi Puppet Story and Craft
- MCW researchers to study airway management in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Back to School...BBB Reminds You to Shop Smart!